The degree of password complexity depends on the importance of the information that you store under the password - every user of electronic devices should know this, be it a computer or a smartphone.
If the data that you store under a password is really valuable to you, you should think about creating a complex (secure) password.
What is a strong password?
The complexity of a password is determined by several indicators: the length of the password, the presence of capital letters, special characters and numbers.
When you create an account on the Internet or register on the site, the system checks your password for complexity, but it does it automatically.
Therefore, the password 0be$yanA, determined by the system as strong, may not be such, although it contains capital letters, numbers, and symbols.
Malicious software that tries to crack your password goes through thousands of combinations, so passwords consisting of a set of letters that have some meaning can be cracked without problems.
More often than not, people are sure that they have created a hack-protected password only because it is "original" for them. But for hacker software that calculates thousands of different variations, the password is not unique.
Most often, in order to easily remember the password, they use personal data - dates, names, addresses and surnames. Again, a password like "07.21.2015" or "21072015" will not be reliable, and searching for variations for special software will take minutes. In addition, if the password is hacked, it will automatically be applied to all accounts, mail and personal password-protected data. Therefore, each mailbox has its own password!
Let's summarize what needs to be done to protect yourself from hacking:
- Use all possible symbols, numbers and capital letters to make your password more complex.
- Make the password length closer to 20 characters or more.
- The most reliable password is typed on the keyboard "gibberish" without any sense.
- Do not use personal information in the password, it is too easy to calculate.
- For each site, mail, account, create your own password.
How do I create a strong password?
There are online password creation services as well as computer password managers that create complex passwords from a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols. To use them, you just need to set the number of characters that the password should consist of.
But there are pitfalls when using such password generators.
- It is not possible to remember such passwords and therefore must be kept in an inaccessible place.
- The second drawback is that no one gives a guarantee that the generated password is not automatically entered into the World Wide Web password database, because each generator may have its own anti-generator.
Many serious companies such as Yandex, Google, Facebook, VKontakte, Mail.ru and others use two-step (two-factor) authentication. This greatly improves the security of these services. The bottom line is additional confirmation, via a mobile device, that you are the one who wants to log into your account. The first time the password is entered upon request, and the second time the code sent by SMS to the mobile device or mail is entered. Thus, even if an attacker knows the password, he cannot use it without having access to your phone. Use this convenient service to keep your personal data safe, especially if you have to log into your account from someone else's computer.
How do I store passwords?
- In mind. If there is a need to keep the password in memory and not write it down anywhere, then it is necessary to make it as much as possible inaccessible to hackers, but memorable for you. In this case, the advice is:
- use several words that are unrelated in meaning and written in Latin letters using capital letters;
- or a line from your favorite book, written in Latin letters, instead of spaces, numbers and symbols;
And remember: the more characters the password contains, the more variations the cracker will have to try, and perhaps he won’t start cracking at all, since the time spent will not pay off.
- On the media. It is up to you to decide which media to choose, which is the most reliable and convenient.
- For especially important documents and accounts, we advise you to remember passwords or write them down on paper and store them in a place inaccessible to anyone (or better in a safe under a combination lock).
For less important information, you can use an offline password storage, for example, KeePass, or an archive of RAR documents, to which a password is also set. Online storage, for example LastPass, I do not recommend as a storage medium, since they are hacked with enviable frequency. While their advantage is the ability to sync with different devices.
All of these methods can increase the percentage of security, but no one can guarantee that private information will not become public.
Even the most difficult password can be stolen by inadvertently entering the password in a pop-up window on the wrong site. This type of online fraud is called phishing... Therefore, check the sites and their addresses several times before entering the data when prompted for "Authorization".
If, nevertheless, it was not possible to save confidential information when hacking the system or using malware, we suggest contacting a specialized service. Our experienced programmers and engineers will provide ambulance computer help with a visit to your home in Minsk and restore information and user data as quickly and thoroughly as possible.